• Update 19.03.22 (금) 18:22

광주드림 기획 타이틀
 GwangJu News
 맑은강 푸른산
기획GwangJu News
The Book That Sparked a Revolution:
An Interview with Lee Jae-eui, Author of Gwangju Diary
혁명을 일으킨 책
‘광주일지’ 저자 이재의 인터뷰
기사 게재일 : 2018-07-04 06:05:01
▲ ‘광주 일지: 죽음을 넘어 시대의 어둠을 넘어’의 저자 이재의 씨.
 As most residents of Korea will tell you, Gwangju isn’t just the name of a city in the southwestern corner of the country. Rather, the city of Gwangju and the Gwangju citizen-led May 18th Democratic Uprising represent South Korea’s long and arduous struggle for democracy. In short, the notoriously repressive ruler of the country, Chun Doo Hwan, declared martial law throughout the country on May 17, 1980, and accordingly dispatched troops to various parts of the nation, including Gwangju. The oppressive and violent tactics employed by the military in Gwangju to squash the protests there incited more citizens to join the democratic movement, thus beginning the ten-day struggle between Gwangju citizens and Chun’s military forces. Ultimately, the movement was suppressed but not before hundreds of civilians lost their lives in the process.

 In addition to the suppression of the May movement, in the years that followed, Chun made concerted efforts to erase all evidence that the uprising ever took place. Those who spoke of “May 18th” were arrested and all newspapers and other books or publications relating to the uprising were strictly censored or prohibited from even being published. However, one book eventually did make its way into the hands of Korean citizens in 1985, Gwangju Diary: Beyond the Death, Beyond the Darkness of the Age. Author Lee Jae-eui, an eyewitness Chonnam National University (CNU) student at the time and freedom fighter during the uprising, worked for years while in and out of prison to fact-find and gather as much evidence of the uprising as he could since, as he put it, such efforts were critical to preserve not just Korean history, but human dignity overall. Though it was banned on an official basis, hundreds of thousands of illegal copies of Gwangju Diary were secretly distributed in Korea and abroad. The book was instrumental in bringing to light the atrocities that the state had committed against its own citizens and, as one might imagine, caused even more public distrust of the Chun Doo Hwan regime. Accordingly, the book is acknowledged as one of the sparks for the eventual “June Struggle” protests and ultimate realization of democracy in Korea in the summer of 1987.

 The story of Lee Jae-eui’s trials and tribulations in publishing Gwangju Diary (including government-sponsored abuse surprisingly occurring nearly twenty years after democratization) is not as well-known as the extent of his sacrifice would suggest. Ten years of conservative Korean leadership during 2008-2017 saw many unsubstantiated allegations contesting the democratic nature of the 1980 uprising, insinuating North Korea was behind the “riots.” The South Korean Defense Ministry Truth Commission and the U.S. State Department, as well as countless other resources, have discredited such claims, yet the rampant use of political mudslinging seems to have temporarily muzzled Lee’s accomplishments.

 Lee was an economics major at CNU at the time of the 1980 uprising, he had previously just returned from his three-year mandatory military service and was looking forward to rejoining his classmates for the spring semester. On May 16, 1980, Lee participated with his classmates in the “March of the Torches,” a peaceful demonstration on the CNU campus. According to Lee, spirits were high and those who were participating truly believed political and economic change was on its way. Yet, hope was quickly replaced by discouragement and confusion when on May 17, at exactly 11:40 p.m., Chun Doo Hwan officially declared martial law for the entire country (previously, the island province of Jeju had been excluded from the first order for martial law in October of the previous year). On the following morning of the 18th, riot police filled the streets of Gwangju. News of the brutal beatdowns and arrests of students spread quickly around the city, feelings of shock and bewilderment quickly turned into anger. Lee, one of the remaining students recalls the moment the student protests escalated into a citizen-wide movement:

 “Suddenly, the next day [the 19th] people from all corners of the city began to join our demonstrations. We had never even imagined other citizens would participate since the repression of our student protests the day before had been so incredibly brutal. Yet nevertheless, the people responded and bonded together as one.”

 The days that followed became more and more brutal as protests for freedom quickly turned into fighting for survival against the relentless military forces that had by then completely surrounded the city. May 20 (Day 3) of the uprising brought the infamous battle of Geumnam-ro (금남로, Gwangju’s main downtown avenue). Lee recalled the impact of the “taxi troops,” a squadron of Gwangju taxi drivers who committed themselves and their vehicles to transporting freedom fighters and the wounded:

 “Once the citizens saw the taxis all committed to the cause, it marked one of the most important momentum swings in the uprising, from an unarmed demonstration to a show of defense for our city. The taxis’ bonding together was such a strong display of people power that it inspired others to join in the movement and defend their freedom. We cried because the scene was so incredibly overwhelming.”

 However, by noon on May 21st, Geumnam-ro quickly spiraled into a war zone. “It just didn’t feel real. People were just collapsing right in front of me,” Lee recalled. “How could the army, supported by our taxes, be allowed to shoot at normal people“” The May 21 Battle of Geumnam-ro coupled with the previous evening’s May 20 Battle at Gwangju Train Station were some of the most violent of the entire uprising. Lee ventured to Jeollanam-do’s Provincial Hall on the morning of the 22nd (Day 5), one of the primary meeting places of the civilian army, only to be surprised with the news that overnight the paramilitary forces had completely retreated to the outskirts of the city. The scene at Provincial Hall, which served as an operation room for the citizens’ militia, was “chaotic” according to Lee. Many members were frantically debating about what to do before the military would inevitably return to try to retake the city. Lee aided in restoring order to the group and helped jerry-rig cars and buses to obtain fuel and other resources so as to sustain the resistance for as long as possible.

 After two days of organizing weapons and resources at Provincial Hall, Lee returned home to rest, but as soon as he did, his family forced him to escape Gwangju as Lee would be a sure target if and when the military made its way back into the city. Lee accordingly snuck out via one of the foot paths the military had yet to block and stayed with his elementary school friends in the town of Gokseong, approximately 45 minutes outside of Gwangju. Sure enough, the military, backed with new enforcements from Seoul, reentered Gwangju and eventually completely defeated the civilian army on May 27 (Day 10). Lee, in Gokseong at the time, has always felt uneasy that he was able to escape while many of his friends sacrificed their lives for the cause:

 “I have a feeling of survivor’s guilt. This feeling has always been in the bottom of my heart; I saw a lot of things during the uprising; many of my friends were killed by the paramilitary troopers. After the uprising was over, I decided to contribute my whole life to speaking on their behalf.”

 Schools were later reopened, and in October, Lee, along with other surviving student freedom fighters, returned to classes at CNU. Following up on his promise, Lee began handing out pamphlets around campus inviting witnesses of the massacre that past spring to give testimony of what they saw. Eventually, Lee’s attempts were noticed by police, and on October 13, in the middle of a lecture, Lee was arrested and dragged out of the school. Lee, along with 30 other members of the pamphlet group were tortured inside the nearby police station for one and a half months. Lee was then transferred to a military prison, where again his body was beaten relentlessly for another three months. Lee was tried and sentenced in military court (martial law was still in effect) and placed in the notorious police torture facility, Samjeong Gyoyukdae in Seoul, as well as other minor prisons for a year before being eventually pardoned. Despite the risk of being sent right back to prison, Lee picked up right where he had left off and continued, alongside his colleagues, amassing as much data and testimony of the uprising as he could.

 After tireless data collection, Lee began the months-long process of writing Gwangju Diary and ultimately was able to publish it in May of 1985. To hide Lee’s identity, Gwangju Diary was originally published under the penname of famous writer Hwang Sok-yong. The book became hugely popular as most in Korea had never heard of the Gwangju uprising before. (The government had kept it out of the news.) Though the book was banned, thousands of illegal copies were printed, leading to countless arrests of citizens caught with a copy. Many believe that the book served as motivation and as inspiration for the June Struggle of 1987 and ultimate elimination of Chun Doo Hwan and the regime. After the June Struggle, the Korean National Assembly heavily relied on the contents of Gwangju Diary for the 1988 open hearings to search for what truly transpired during the Gwangju Uprising. Gwangju Diary was also the most important basis for the prosecution of former leader Chun Doo Hwan in 1995 and again during the Supreme Court decision, which ultimately found Gwangju’s uprising to be democratic.

 Lee has since translated Gwangju Diary into English (1999) but faced great pressure during the combined ten-year reign of conservative presidents Lee Myung-bak and Park Geun-hye. It was during this tenure that Lee’s computer was hacked in an attempt to delete manuscripts of the Diary, and conservative groups continually attacked the legitimacy of his book, citing baseless arguments that the May 18 Uprising was in fact mobilized by North Korean special troops.

 Towards the end of the Park Geun-hye presidency, likely in response to the news of the re-release of Gwangju Diary, individuals (Lee assumes either the police or the National Intelligence Service) began constantly following him and both wiretapping and hacking his phone. Lee was also forced to step down from his position as a secretary of Gwangju City Hall due to a politically motivated and frivolous lawsuit filed nearly three years ago accusing him of bribery, the trial for which is still ongoing. However, despite these attacks on Lee and the credibility of Gwangju Diary, he is confident that the results of the recent investigations into the May 18 Uprising will hopefully settle the score for the dwindling minority of those attempting to discount the heroism of Gwangju’s citizens. President Moon Jae-in’s arranged investigation, which concluded in February of this year, confirmed that the military had fired shots toward citizens from MD 500 and UH-1H choppers, with fighter jets armed with bombs on standby as a backup. Further similar affirmations are also expected after the National Assembly-commissioned May 18 Uprising Truth and Reconciliation Commission begins its investigations with full prosecutorial discretion later this September. When asked why these investigations and overall preservation of the uprising are so important to Lee, he emphasized the importance of sharing the lessons of truth moving forward:

 “These kinds of experiences have to be shared for generations to come. We should always protect our freedom of democracy; we fought against a dictatorship, so I’d like to convey our experiences and the values we stood for to our sons and daughters. The people of Gwangju never gave up. What’s the real value in people’s lives“ People fought for things more valuable than our own lives…freedom and human dignity. It’s imperative that we preserve these ideals for time to come.”
Written by Wilson Melbostad
Photographs by Sarah Pittman

 Lee, J. (2017). Gwangju Diary: Beyond the Death, Beyond the Darkness of the Age (rev. ed.). Seoul, Korea: May 18 Memorial Foundation. (Original English edition published 1999)

 The Author
 Wilson Melbostad is an international human rights attorney hailing from San Francisco, California. Wilson has returned to Gwangju to undertake his newest project: the Organization for Migrant Legal Aid (OMLA), which operates out of the Gwangju International Center. He has also taken on the position of managing editor of the Gwangju News.

 *This article was originally published in Gwangju News May 2018 issue.
 Gwangju News is the first public English monthly magazine in Korea, first published in 2001 by Gwangju International Center. Each monthly issue covers local and regional issues, with a focus on the stories and activities of the international residents and communities. Read our magazine online at: www.gwangjunewsgic.com

-<원문 해석>-

 한국의 대부분의 국민들이 말하듯이, 광주는 그저 남서쪽의 한구석에 자리 잡은 도시의 이름이 아니다. 정확히 말하면, 광주와 광주 시민이 이끌었던 5·18민주화운동은 한국의 민주주의를 향한 길고 고된 싸움을 대표한다. 짧게 요약하면, 시민들을 억압했던 악명 높은 이 나라의 통치자 전두환은 1980년 5월17일, 전국적으로 비상계엄령을 선포했고, 이에 따라 광주를 포함한 많은 지역들에 군 병력을 파견했다. 광주 시민들의 저항을 진압하기 위해 공수부대를 파견한 탄압적이고 끔찍한 작전이 지시됨에 따라 더 많은 시민들이 민주화운동에 참여하게 되었고, 광주 시민들과 전두환의 신군부와의 10일 간의 분투가 시작되었다. 결국, 수백 명의 민간인이 목숨을 잃고 나서야 이 항쟁은 끝이 났다.

 전두환은 5·18민주화운동에 대한 억압뿐만 아니라, 그 다음 연도에 5월 운동에 대한 모든 증거와 흔적을 지우기 위해 온갖 노력을 다했다. “5월18일”에 대해 말하는 사람들은 체포되었고, 운동과 관련된 내용이 있는 모든 신문이나 서적, 출판물들을 엄격하게 검열하였고 심지어 출간되기도 전에 금지되었다. 그러나 결국 단 한권의 책 ‘광주 일지: 죽음을 넘어 시대의 어둠을 넘어’가 만들어졌고, 1985년 국민들의 손안으로 들어왔다. 저자인 이재의는 당시 전남대학교 학생이자 목격자였고, 민주화운동 기간 동안 자유를 위해 싸우는 투사였다. 그는 진상 조사를 위해 1년 동안 교도소를 오고 가며, 그가 할 수 있는 최대한으로 운동의 많은 증거들을 모았다. 그의 말에 의하면, 이러한 노력은 한국 역사를 보존하기 위해서 뿐만 아니라 인간의 존엄성을 지키기 위해 중대한 일이라고 했다. 책은 공식적으로 출간이 금지되었지만 수백, 수천 개의 인쇄본들이 한국 전역과 해외로 은밀히 배포되었다. 그 책은 국가가 우리 국민들에게 저지른 잔학한 행위를 밝히기 위해 매우 중요했고 모두 알다시피, 이는 전두환 정권에 대한 민심의 더 많은 불신을 가져왔다. 이에 따라 이 책은 “6월 항쟁”이 일어날 수 있도록 용기를 북돋아주었고, 1987년 여름 한국에서 민주주의의 궁극적인 실현으로 인정받았다.

 ‘광주일지’를 출간하기 위한 이재의씨의 시도와 고난의 이야기는(놀랍게도 민주화 이후 2년 가까이 일어났던 정부 배후의 학대를 포함하여) 그가 얼마나 큰 희생을 했는지 잘 알려져 있지 않다. 2008년부터 2017년까지 10년간의 한국 정권은 1980년 민주화운동의 민주주의 본질에 대해 이의를 제기하며, 입증되지도 않은 많은 주장들을 겪어왔다. 북한이 폭동의 배후라고 은근히 암시하는 등의 주장 말이다. 한국 국방부 특별조사위원회와 미 국무부는 셀 수 없이 많은 다른 자료들을 얹어 증명되지 않은 주장들로 신빙성을 없앴다. 걷잡을 수 없이 만연하는 정치적인 중상모략은 마치 이씨의 업적을 일시적으로 입막음하는 듯 했다.

 이씨는 1980년 운동 당시 전남대학교의 경제학부 학생이었고, 그는 이미 3년간의 군복무를 마치고 돌아와 동기들과 함께 1학기 강좌를 들을 생각에 꽤 들떠있었다. 1980년 5월16일, 이씨는 동기와 함께 전남대학교 캠퍼스에서 진행되는 평화 시위인 ‘3월의 횃불’에 참여했다. 이씨에 따르면, 분위기는 활기가 넘쳤고, 참여하는 사람들은 정치와 경제의 변화가 진행되고 있다고 진심으로 믿었다고 한다. 하지만 5월17일, 정확히 저녁 11시40분, 전두환 정권이 공식적으로 비상계엄령의 전국적인 확대를 선포하면서(제주도는 그 전년도 10월에 최초 의 비상계엄령 선포에서 제외되었다.) 이러한 희망은 좌절과 혼란으로 빠르게 뒤바뀌었다. 다음날인 18일 아침, 시위를 진압하는 경찰들이 광주 거리를 가득 매웠다. 학생들을 사정없이 두들겨 패고 체포하는 잔혹한 소식들이 도시 전역으로 빠르게 퍼져나가면서, 충격과 당혹감은 빠르게 분노로 바뀌었다. 이씨는 당시 학생들의 저항이 광주 시민의 운동으로 확대되는 것을 기억할 수 있는, 남아있는 학생들 중 한명이다.

 “갑자기, 다음날(19일) 광주 모든 전역에서 우리 시위에 참여하기 시작했어요. 우리는 시위에 대한 진압이 정말 놀라울 정도로 잔혹하기 전까지는 다른 시민들이 참여할 것이라고는 상상도 못했어요. 하지만, 시민들은 응답했고 우리는 하나가 되었어요.”

 자유를 향한 저항을 위해 더욱 더 잔혹해진 날들은 도시 온 전역을 완벽하게 둘러싼 끈질긴 계엄군과의 생존을 위한 싸움으로 변했다. 5월20일(3일째 되던 날) 악명 높은 금남로 전투(금남로: 광주의 주요 시내 거리)가 일어났다. 이씨는 자신들을 희생하며, 그들의 교통수단으로 자유를 위해 싸웠고 부상당했던 광주 ‘택시 부대’의 영향력을 되돌이켜보았다.

 “시민들이 그 운동에 온몸을 바쳐 헌신했던 택시 기사들을 보았고, 이는 우리 도시를 지키기 위한 비무장 시위의 한 장면으로, 민주화운동에서 가장 중요하고 특별한 전환점을 나타냈어요. 서로 힘을 합친 택시들은 사람들의 강력한 힘을 보여주는 표출이었어요. 이들은 다른 사람들로 하여금, 그들의 자유를 지키기 위해 운동해 참여할 수 있도록 용기를 불어넣었어요.”

 그러나 5월21일 오후, 금남로는 소용돌이처럼 전투 지역으로 변했다. “현실처럼 느껴지지가 않았어요. 사람들은 제 바로 앞에서 쓰러졌어요.” 이씨는 생각했다. “어떻게 군대가, 택시가 막아서고 있던 우리 일반 시민들을 쏠 수가 있죠?” 5월20일 오후 광주역에서 일어났던 전투에 이어, 5월21일 금남로 전투 또한 민주화운동에서 가장 잔혹한 사건들 중 하나였다. 이씨는 22일 아침, 시민군의 주요 회의 장소 중 하나였던 전라남도청으로 가서 하룻밤 사이 공수부대가 완벽하게 도시의 변두리로 물러났다는 소식을 전했다. 이씨의 말에 따르면 시민 민병대의 작전실 역할을 했던 전라남도청의 장면은 “혼돈상태”였다고 한다. 많은 대원들은 도시 진압을 위한 군대가 돌아오기 전에 무엇을 해야 할지 극도로 흥분하여 논의를 하고 있었다. 이씨는 이들을 회복시키기 위해 도왔고, 임시 차량들과 버스들의 기름을 넣을 수 있도록 도왔다. 그리고 가능한 한 오랫동안 저항할 수 있도록 다른 자원의 충당을 도왔다.

 전라남도청에서 무기와 자원을 구성한 이튿날 후, 이씨는 휴식을 위해 집으로 돌아왔다. 하지만 돌아오자마자 그의 가족은 부대가 다시 돌아왔을 때 그가 분명 표적이 될 것이라며, 광주에서 떠나자며 설득했다. 가족의 말을 따라 이씨는 군대가 아직 차단하지 않은 오솔길을 지나 몸을 피했고, 광주에서 약 45분 정도 걸리는 곡성에서 그의 초등학교 친구와 함께 머물렀다. 물론 말할 것도 없이, 부대는 서울에서 새로운 시행령을 가지고 광주로 돌아왔고 결국 5월 27일 시민군을 완벽하게 진압했다. 이씨는 많은 친구들이 시위에서 그들의 목숨을 잃는 동안 자신이 탈출하는 것은 쉽지 않다는 것을 이미 느꼈다.

 “살아남은 자의 죄책감을 느꼈어요. 이 감정은 언제나 제 마음 한편에 자리 잡고 있습니다. 저는 민주화운동 기간 동안 많은 것들을 봤어요. 많은 제 친구들이 공수부대에게 죽었어요. 운동이 끝난 후 저는 결심했어요. 제 친구들의 삶을 대신해 이 사건에 대해 알리는 것에 제 모든 삶을 바치겠다고요.”

 10월, 학교들은 다시 열었고, 이씨는 자유를 위해 싸우는 살아남은 학생들과 함께 전남대학교로 돌아왔다. 이씨는 자신과의 약속에 따라 지난 봄 그들이 보았던 대학살의 목격자들과 함께 캠퍼스에서 팸플릿을 나눠주었다. 이씨의 시도는 경찰의 주목을 받게 되었고 결국 10월13일 강좌 도중에 체포되어 학교 밖으로 끌려 나갔다. 이씨는 팸플릿을 나눠주던 30명의 다른 팀원들과 함께 한달 반 동안 경찰서 근처에서 고문을 당했다. 그리고 나서 이씨는 교도소로 이동되었고 세 달 동안 가차 없이 두들겨 맞았다. 그는 재판 받았고 군 법정에서 형(계엄령은 여전히 효력이 있었다.)을 선고 받았다. 그리고 경찰의 악명 높은 고문 시설인 서울의 삼청교육대로 배치되었고, 형이 가벼운 다른 이들과 죄가 완벽히 사면될 때까지 1년 동안 있어야 했다. 교도소로 바로 보내지는 위협을 받았음에도 불구하고, 이씨는 대학 동기들과 함께 할 수 있는 한 운동의 증거와 자료들을 모으며, 그가 다 하지 못한 일을 마저 계속했다.

 지칠 줄 모르는 자료 수집 이후, 이씨는 광주일지 집필을 위한 한 달간의 장정을 시작했고 결국 1985년 5월 출간할 수 있었다. 광주일지는 이씨의 정체를 숨기기 위해 원래 유명했던 저자 황석영의 필명을 빌려 출간되었다. 이 책은 광주 민주화운동을 전혀 들어보지 못했던 대부분의 한국인들 사이에서 매우 유명해졌다. (정부는 이를 뉴스에 보도하지 않았다.) 책은 금지되었지만, 수천 개의 불법적인 인쇄본들이 나왔고 셀 수 없이 많은 국민들이 이와 함께 체포되었다. 많은 사람들은 이 책이 1987년의 6월 항쟁에 대한 동기이자 영감이고, 궁극적인 전두환 정권의 궁극적인 제거라고 믿는다. 6월 항쟁 이후, 국회는 1988년 광주 민주화운동 기간 동안 일어났던 일들이 정말로 무엇인지 조사를 위한 공청회를 위해 광주일지 자료에 전적으로 의존했다. 또한, 광주일지는 1995년, 전두환 전 통치자에 대한 고발의 가장 중요한 기초자료가 되었고 대법원 판결의 근거가 되었다. 더불어 광주 민주화운동이 궁극적인 민주화를 만들었다는 것을 깨닫게 하는 자료이기도 했다.

 이씨는 광주일지가 영어로 번역된 이후(1999년) 보수적인 이명박과 박근혜 대통령의 통치 아래 총 10년 간 엄청난 압박을 받게 되었다. 이 재임기간 동안 이씨의 컴퓨터는 해킹 당했고, 광주일지 원고를 삭제하려는 시도가 있었다. 또한, 보수적인 그룹들은 5·18민주화운동이 북한의 특정한 세력에 의해 일어났다는 근거 없는 주장들을 대며 지속적으로 그의 책의 합법성에 대해 공격했다.

 박근혜 정권이 끝나감에 따라 광주일지가 재조명 될 가능성이 높아보이자, 특정한 사람들이 (이씨는 경찰이나 국정원 중 하나라고 추정한다.) 끊임없이 그를 따라오며 그의 말과 통화 내용을 도청했다. 또한, 이씨는 그의 광주광역시청의 비서직위에서 퇴직하도록 강요당했다. 정치적으로 동기를 부여하며 거의 3년 가까이를 그의 뇌물수수 고발을 위해 무분별한 소송을 제기했다. 이 재판은 여전히 진행되고 있다. 그러나 이씨와 광주일지의 신뢰성에 대한 이러한 공격에도 불구하고, 그는 5·18민주화운동에 대한 최근 조사 결과는 바라건대 광주 시민들의 이 용감한 행위를 매도하는, 점점 줄어들고 있는 소수 집단에게 보복할 것 이라는 데에 확신이 있다. 올해 2월, 결론이 내려진 문재인 대통령의 수사 자료에서는 공수부대가 예비로 폭탄으로 무장한 전투기를 대기시켜놓은 동시에, MD 500과 UH-1H 헬기로 시민들을 공격했다는 사실을 확인했다. 게다가 국회가 임명한 5·18민주화운동 진상조사위원회의 향후 9월 조사에서 이런 비슷한 진술들이 나올 것으로 기대된다. 이씨에게 이 조사와 민주화운동 전체를 보호하는 것이 왜 이렇게 중요한지 물었을 때, 그는 앞으로 나아갈 진실의 내용이 공유되어야하는 중요성에 대해 강조했다.

 “이런 경험은 앞으로의 우리 자손들에게 꼭 공유되어야 합니다. 우리는 민주주의에 대한 우리의 자유를 항상 보호해야 합니다. 우리는 독재 정부에 맞서 싸웠고, 그래서 저는 우리의 경험과 가치를 후손들에게 전해주고 싶습니다. 광주 사람들은 절대 포기하지 않았어요. 인간의 삶에서 진정한 가치가 무엇이라고 생각해요? 사람들은 우리 삶 자체보다 더욱 가치 있는 것, 자유와 인간의 존엄성을 위해 싸웠어요. 다가올 미래를 위해 이 이상을 보존하는 것은 반드시 필요한 일이에요.”
글=윌슨 멜보스타드
사진=사라 피트만
 이재의 (2017) 광주일지: 죽음을 넘어, 시대의 어둠을 넘어 서울, 한국: 5·18기념재단. (최초 영문판 1999년 발행)
 윌슨 멜보스타드는 캘리포니아 센프란시스코 출신으로 국제인권 법률변호사이다. 윌슨은 그의 최근 프로젝트인, 광주국제교류센터에서 운영되고 있는 난민&이주자 법률 지원(OMLA)에 착수하기 위해 한국으로 돌아왔다. 그는 또한 광주뉴스 편집자 관리 업무를 하고 있다.
 이 글은 광주뉴스 2018년 5월호에 실린 내용입니다.
 광주뉴스는 광주국제교류센터가 2001년부터 매달 발간하고 있는 한국 최초로 발간된 공식 영문 월간잡지이다. 매달 지역민과 지역의 이야기를 다뤄오고 있으며 특히 지역거주 외국인과 커뮤니티의 활동과 모습을 담고 있다. 온라인에서도 잡지를 볼 수 있다. (www.gwangjunewsgic.com).

< Copyrights ⓒ 광주드림 & gjdream.com, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지 >
싸이공감 트위터 페이스북 미투데이(Naver) 요즘(Daum) 네이버 구글
인쇄 | 이메일 | 댓글달기 | 목록보기

  이름 비밀번호 (/ 1000자)
특정인을 비방하거나 허위사실 유포, 도배행위, 광고성 글 등 올바른 게시물 문화를 저해하는 글은 예고없이 삭제될 수 있습니다.
개정된 저작권법 시행으로 타언론사의 기사를 전재할 경우 법적 책임은 게시자에게 있습니다.
댓글 0   트래백 0

네이버 뉴스스탠드
답답한 미세먼지, 어떻게 해결해야 할까?
 미세먼지가 문제라는 것을 굳이 입 아프게 설명할 필요는 없을 것이다. 숨쉬...
 [딱! 꼬집기] [딱꼬집기]무엇이 ‘억울’하게...
 [편집국에서] 금호 vs 호반 ‘고래 싸움...
 [아침엽서] 외로우니까 사람일까?...